Aloe Vera gel is widely known to relieve skin problems and aid in healing wounds. But did you know that your favourite home plant can be used for much more than just skin relief and interior décor?
It’s a panacea for your hair and scalp issues as well.
What is Aloe Vera?
Aloe vera is a medicinal plant that’s been used to treat many health conditions for thousands of years. It’s generally safe to use also vera directly from the plant or one can buy it in gel form.
Aloe vera ointments creams and gels contain the clear gel found in aloe vera leaves. This gel can be applied topically to heal various skin conditions. Aloe is sold in capsule form or liquid form to take internally or to consume to promote health and well-being.
Aloe vera has been used for ages for its healing properties. Some claim it has another application besides its skin benefits: It can actually strengthen your hair and make your scalp healthier.
The best form of aloe vera to use on your hair is the raw gel of the plant. You can buy this gel in almost any pharmacy or scoop it out of leaves cut fresh from a live plant if you have one. The gel is clear in colour and slightly watery.
Rubbing aloe vera into your scalp and hair and letting it penetrate your hair follicles could condition and improve damaged, dry hair. After letting it sit for an hour, rinse the gel off with a mild shampoo.
Some Major Benefits of Using Aloe Vera:
- Deep cleans oily hair. Aloe vera cleanses the hair efficiently and residue from other hair products. Unlike other chemicals in hair products, aloe vera is gentle and preserves the integrity of your hair.
- Using aloe vera is a natural way to get hair that looks healthier, shinier, and softer.
- Strengthens and repairs hair strands
- Aloe vera has benefits of vitamins A, C, and E. All three of these vitamins contribute to promoting healthy cell growth and shiny hair.
- Vitamin B12 and folic acid are also contained in aloe vera gel. Both of these components can keep your hair from falling out.
- However, there are no studies that confirm conclusively that aloe vera has any benefit in preventing hair loss.
- Aloe vera is a popular product that people use on their skin after sun exposure. This is because of its high collagen content and cooling properties. The vitamin content in aloe vera suggests that it might work to repair sun damage to your hair, too.
- When your scalp has been cleansed and your hair has been conditioned with aloe vera, you might observe that hair loss and breakage slows down.
- Aloe vera has many active nutrients and minerals that can aid in strengthening your hair.
- It has amino acids, is rich in vitamins A, B12, C, and E as well as fatty acids.
- Aloe vera has various enzymes that break down fats, hence strips your hair of any unnecessary oil (sebum).
- There is a common inflammatory skin condition that affects your scalp. It causes dandruff, scaly patches and red skin. Researchers have concluded that aloe vera can significantly reduce scaliness and itchiness.
- A study concluded that fresh aloe vera juice offers protection from ultraviolet (UV) radiation. UV exposure can cause your hair to lose its colour and shine, and make it less elastic and rough, leading to breakage.
- Some people claim aloe vera helps with hair growth, but there’s no scientific proof. However, It has been used to improve hair health and lessen breakage, which contributes to hair growth.
How to make an aloe vera hair mask?
A hair mask is a treatment that can benefit your hair in many ways.
Because hair masks often contain more conditioning agents and oils than a typical conditioner, and you leave them in your hair for a long period of time. It promotes more profound healing and repair than your regular hair care routine.
You can purchase many types of hair masks online as well as at a drugstore, but you can also make your own using simple ingredients.
Aloe vera and coconut hair mask:
- Get your ingredients: 2 tbsp. of aloe vera gel and 1 tbsp. of coconut oil. If you can then try using virgin coconut oil at room temperature.
- Stir the aloe vera and coconut oil together until they form a smooth paste.
- Apply the mask lavishly to your hair with your hands.
- Leave the mask on for 20- 30 minutes.
- Rinse the mask thoroughly out of your hair.
- You should probably wash your hair and even comb in between to make sure you get the mask out completely since natural home plant-sourced aloe vera gel leaves a filmy residue in your hair.
- You can change your normal conditioner with this mask as often as once a week to aid your hair health.
Aloe vera and apple cider vinegar Hair Mask:
This recipe can be particularly effective for an itchy scalp, flaky, as some people claim that apple cider vinegar works on dandruff issues.
To make this mask, mix together:
- 4 tbsp. aloe vera gel
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. honey, optional
Aloe vera and yoghurt Hair Mask:
Yoghurt is a probiotic hence it helps with dandruff issues.
Choose full-fat, unsweetened, plain yoghurt. To make this hair mask, mix together:
- Yoghurt- 2 tbsp.
- Aloe vera gel- 2 tbsp.
- Honey, optional- 2 tsp.
Aloe vera Gel is an all-around treatment and hence has tons of healing properties. The best form of this to use on your hair is the raw gel of the plant.
Still, aloe vera should be first tried as a patch test.